Windows 10

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by azo, Oct 24, 2014.

1. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Hey, lads

So as some may know, Microsoft started this Technical Preview of Windows 10 project a few days ago. You can download it from their website and install it on your desktop/laptop. Quick, simple and easy.

You can download ISO file here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Since I still have my old laptop, I decided to give it a shot and see what we are getting in 2015. I've been using it for a couple of days and I have to say it's pretty damn awesome. When MS released Windows 8, there were many people who were not happy with Modern/Metro UI. They also disliked the fact that MS removed widgets. While W8.1 fixed a lot of those problems and performance issues, people still had that taste in their mouth. Personally, I became a huge fan of W8 as soon as I installed it. I was very skeptical at first, and I simply wanted (just like most of the people) to hate it, because it's cool to hate MS, right? This time Microsoft fixed a lot of those little things and came up with some awesome ideas. If you are a fan of old start menu - it's back. And it's better than ever, because it combines the best of both worlds. Like it or not - the tiles are here to stay (you can disable them, obviously) and it's pretty damn cool to use them. Think of them as live widgets, which constantly pull info from servers and present it in style. What, I think, users will like this time, that tiles are not the only option, and they are not shoved down users throat, like in Windows 8.

It is not recommended to use this version on your main PC, as obviously it's not a finished product and may have rough edges. However, my experience was pleasant and I didn't even have any problems with drivers. Neither do most of the people. At this moment of writing, I am still using an older build (9841), while the new one is downloading (9860). New build brings a lot of performance fixes and new features to the table, such as notification center, which is called Action Center in Microsoft's world (Including Windows Phone).

One more thing I really like about new Windows (since Windows :cool: is the ability to sync all of the settings on different machines. You know all those small, but kind of important to you, settings like theme, icon size, placement, additional languages etc. Those small settings which take so little time, but are tedious to setup? Well, since Windows 8, if you use the same account on all machines, all these settings, or even screen layouts are easily synchronized and you don't have to do a damn thing. You can always disable that, however.

Anyway, this was my short post with my initial impressions after using Windows 10.

I would not like to guy back to Windows 7 and now after using Windows 10 for a while, I can really see a bright future for this OS. The king is dead - long live the king.

There's plenty of screenshots and videos online, so I won't bother posting those, unless anyone has any particular requests or questions.

FlashG, StickyFinga and thatbastard like this.
  2. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

That's pretty much what I got from reading the articles online. I'm glad that the next Windows will be a good one again.

I won't bother with any of the previews, I don't have that kind of time or any spare laptops. I look forward to trying it out
    myself next year. Thanks for the info, azo.

3. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

How's that for RAM usage. IE with 8 tabs opened.

[​IMG]

IE does run pretty slow in general, at least in this build. Chrome seems to be way faster, just like on W7 or W8.

4. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Damn. Depends on what you're doing though. I'm watching an HD Extra Life Twitch stream,
    and that particular tab (in Opera) is using almost 1 GB of RAM, too.

5. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but Microsoft is doing a Windows 10 event right now.

They've just announced the following:

The upgrade to Windows 10 is made available to existing users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, as well as those who own a Windows 8 Phone. The free upgrade offer is being made available for the first year following the launch of Windows 10. (Source: GameInformer)

:awesome:

6. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I was watching it live.

I cannot wait to get my hands on mobile version. All in all I think it will be awesome experience.

7. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Thats too good to be true,

Most likely there is a catch, like
    1) people who bought a system after certain date
    2) advertisements in the OS

or something like that
    I'll believe it when I see it.

8. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

They've clarified it since the conference. It's free forever if you install it during the first year.

Full article: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

9. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I guess is good will on their part to make up for the failure of Windows 8. If they had only offered free upgrade to Windows 8 users, Windows 7 users would have been up in arms; specially since Microsoft recently ended support for Windows 7.

StickyFinga likes this.
  10. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Indeed. I was aware of the ending Windows 7 support, so this is definitely good news.

You probably won't be able to get the super duper edition, though if they've really learned from their
    mistakes, there hopefully won't be 7 different editions to start with. Which means even with the free
    upgrade version, you should still be able to get most tools you need. I'm kind of looking forward to
    it now.

Only a bit worried about DirectX 12 and how that will affect people who'll be stuck with a DirectX 11
    card for another year or longer. Not to say that DX11 is bad, but still... I wonder if GPUs in the future
    will be more effective or if we'll actually end up with 12 GB GPUs that take up 4 slots.

11. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Getting a new OS with proper support for free is great, but I just had a look at some more recent
    screenshots. I'm not sure if I want to be looking at this OS every day of the year. I didn't realize it's
    become this ugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

It looks ugly because of the poor color choices over there. MS also gives you an option to disable many things if you don't want to see them. Trust me, it can look amazing once you setup it your own way.

I downloaded the latest technical preview build and gonna install it to my laptop tonight to do some testing. I will post some screenies as well. Feel free to ask any questions :)

StickyFinga and thatbastard like this.
  13. thatbastard

thatbastard GT Cruisin'

Work your azo magic and show us some nice screens! I would be happy with just a black/grey theme which I never deviate from!

Man those folder icons in the middle screen look like they were taken out of the Simpsons lol

StickyFinga likes this.
  14. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I agree about the icons, I don't think they were so ugly in previous builds.

I installed the preview today and it's running great. I didn't even have to install any drivers, it found a few things via Windows Update feature and all is working well.

Didn't customize much, just changed the wallpaper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

StickyFinga and thatbastard like this.
  15. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Set up the tiles and apps I wanna see.

[​IMG]

StickyFinga likes this.
  16. thatbastard

thatbastard GT Cruisin'

StickyFinga likes this.
  17. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Awesome, and it's a free upgrade too :D.

18. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I'm probably gonna wait a few months and then get it around Fall.

19. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Regarding the discussion about icons.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/new-windows-10-icons-shown-survey-microsoft-seeks-more-feedback

Microsoft works hard to bring the icons everybody is happy with. The ones mentioned in the article are much much better than current W10 icons, but IMO they are still quite shitty looking. I don't get why they wanna use 3D effect. Why not make them flat and modern, simple looking to fit with the rest of the design language?

Anyway, it's good to know MS is trying really hard. They ask for feedback for pretty much every idea/feature, so it definitely feels like they are listening to the users.

Let's just hope that users actually know what they want.

20. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Have you talked to Cortana yet?