Thermal Grease

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by MariusNdi, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Hello everyone i want to know if it's better to add thermal grease/paste to the video card processor , i changed the cpu grease but i want to know if it's ok wo add it too on the gpu cip because i think it's a bit hot , about 54-55 celsius degrees. Any help are welcome!
    Thanks in addvance!

2. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

~55°C for GPU is just fine. You don't have to worry about that.

Usually it is a bit harder to change thermal compound on a GPU, so if you are not up for that, don't worry. Temps are fine.

It's always good to have fresh stuff, though. But in your case I would not worry.

What kind of GPU you have?

3. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Hmm i'm a bit sceptic because i think my gpu it's givving up :|
    I have a ATi Radeon HD 4350 1GB DDR2 64 i think its's from asus :-?? Without any cooler only the gpu cooler without ventilation , passive cooling :-??

4. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Don't bother. You won't win much, especially considering you have passive cooling.

5. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Don't bother. You won't win much, especially considering you have passive cooling.

Yes , i read on forums or on youtube on comments , if i remove the cooler , the radiator and i apply the paste , next time when i open it to renew the grease i have chances to remain with a fragment of my gpu Welding on the radiator :lol: so i think i will change the gpu :-x anyway i not play any games anymore just working in photoshop , youtube , messenger and movies ...

OutTopic
    How i sayd , i don't play games anymore , who are still playing TDU1 and need a good savegame with everything complete i have one and i don't want to delete it!

6. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

if you have an extra case fan, you could aim the air flow of the fan to the heatsink
    this could be done using zip ties to adhere the fan to the graphics card or other stuff
    but like Azo said, don't bother messing with the graphics cards unless you start seeing graphics effects that shouldn't be there when playing games.

7. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Yeah , but i don't have a fan on the heatsink X_X that mean i can't add grease right?

8. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

like Azo said, don't bother, the video card was designed that way.
    If while gaming you notice some weird graphic effects, then you will need to apply grease.

9. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Hmm i have troubles with the video card , and the problem it's the color , the image turns from blua to green , a greeny-blue color , i don't know exactly wich it's the problem ... somethimes i get this problem after 3 - 4 times when i turn pc on the image get that color ... no idea :-??

10. blaer

blaer Nandeska

i have to disagree there. if you get artifacts due to lack of heat dissipation, then you need a better case / case cooling.
    thermal grease wont help enough if its that bad.

11. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

i have to disagree there. if you get artifacts due to lack of heat dissipation, then you need a better case / case cooling.
    thermal grease wont help enough if its that bad.

I'm agree with you blaer but i don't think i am able to add a vent / a fan on the video card and i don't know when i will have more time to resolve that ...

12. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

If you do get any artifacts (you did not mention that before), than I suggest you start thinking about better cooling, like blaer said.

If you still want to do some gaming, I suggest you buy a proper card altogether. That card was not meant to be used for gaming in the first place.

Edit:

What blaer meant is better case cooling, not video card cooling. You probably have poor air flow in the case and hot air just stays inside rather than being blown out by a case fan causing heat to your GPU and other components. You can buy a case fan for a couple of bucks in any computer shop.

13. MariusNdi

MariusNdi Banned!

Ok , i think i sayd i don't play any games anymore , i don't have times! i work 4 days and 3 im free then repeat ... now im busy to import the car , maybe in the future i will make my pc better maybe a new better gpu , yes i want to but a case fan , it's about 4 or 7 euros one , on the internet it's much cheaper and the ship it's free with the courier :) thanks guys for help , please an admin to close this thread !
    Cheers! Good Night!