System Drivers

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by StickyFinga, Jan 22, 2017.

1. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I've been cleaning up my Windows 10 install a little, removing programs, cleaning the library etc.

I came across a tool I installed to scan for out-of-date drivers. There's a ton of these, as I'm sure you
    know, and I don't really trust them. I was just curious to see what they'd find, so I installed one a few
    months ago.

Before removing it, I let it scan the system one more time and it told me that the following drivers are
    out of date:

Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHC... | Current Version: 03 June 2015 | Update: 26 July 2015
    PCI standard host CPU bridge | Current Version: 21 June 2006 | Update: 25 June 2015

Is it worth updating these drivers and do you know where to get them from? I don't trust the tool to do it.

2. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Updating the system drivers is not worth updating unless your system is unstable.
    If you want to update them, your best bet is going through your motherboard manufacturer website, Gigabyte.

You can also go to Intel's website and download directly from them the chipset drivers, which is what that tool is stating being out of date.
    Drivers & Software

StickyFinga likes this.
  3. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Yup, Az is very right.

The general rule when it comes to system driver updates like that (and BIOS) is - if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Very rarely they bring any significant system performance improvements. If you have any specific problems with your system, then it might be worth looking into.

Even then, it's best to go to manufacturer's website directly.

To make your mind at ease, you could check the release notes of the updated driver to see what's been fixed and if it's worth your hassle.

StickyFinga likes this.
  4. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Okay, thanks guys! I was worried, since one of them is like 11 years old. I'll leave it as it is then.
    The guys who put my PC together did all the important updates, it seems (BIOS and such).

5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Yeah, that's the PCI bus which is old technology and is still around just for backwards comparability