Projekt - Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by Aztlan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Solid State Drive
    1 TB Samsung 850 Evo

Hard Drive
    2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Case
    Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900

Power Supply
    Seasonic Snow Silent 750

Mouse/Keyboard
    TBD

Operating System
    Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit)

DVD/Blu Ray Drive
    Pioneer 16x Internal Blu Ray Burner (BDR-2209)

#1 Aztlan, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    azo, The Stig and StickyFinga like this.
  2. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

What's wrong with your current system? :D

3. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

The problem with the Haswell-E system was primarily heat output; which was a pain in hot days.
    I got rid off that system around end of April/early May before prices went down on the resale market.

I have been using an old Intel I5 760 system since then. I was considering building a 6700k system, but that CPU is still overpriced by 20 bucks and Kaby Lake is not far off. This little system will do the job for now since I plan to play old school games like Mass Effect, Dishonored, Bioshock and some newer ones like Deus Ex and so on
    I will rather wait until late Fall/early Winter to see what's the PC landscape. This summer is a big disappointment with overpriced components, low supply on new video cards etc.

I was considering buying an AMD RX 480 but those cards are no where to be found, plus it will go against my low power spec system.

4. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Why don't you go with an i5 instead? It will be a little beefier system and more future proof.

5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I did some research and turns out these i3 processors have hyper-threading while the i5 do not.
    The performance difference between the two is not that big.

I wasn't looking to spend a lot
    This little system will be temporary and become a backup later on.

6. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

There are advantages and disadvantages of Amazon's return policy.
    The board I got from them is a used return product. The SATA cables were not packed like you usually received them and I/O backplate is not sealed inside a plastic bag; telltale signs of a used product.

Regarding the keyboard, the keys make a louder than expected sound, which is annoying.
    So both of these are going back.

7. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

You should try mechanical keyboards with either a Cherry MX Brown, Red or Black switch (or remakes of those models, like the Razer Orange switch). Those are relatively silent as they do not have a 'click' mechanism. The only difference between the MX Brown and MX Red/MX Black is that the MX Brown has a tactile bump at the point the key registers that you'll feel when you press the key. Furthermore the three models have a different actuation force, which basically means how tough they are to press down.

You can also look for Logitech Romer-G-equipped keyboard. These new switches are silent as well.

8. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

You got the blue switches, what did you you expect, those are the loudest switches out there :p

9. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Why you did you not mentioned it before? :rage::p
    I am not into keyboards, wasn't aware the color of the keys gives you the noise rating lol

unfortunately most gaming mechanical keyboards are black or dark gray color, will stand out like a sore thumb against the white color of the system.

anyway
    some changes with motherboard, memory and power supply
    The Silverstone PSU is industrial aluminum color, which will not blend with the white color of the case.

I switched the PSU with this one
    Seasonic Snow Silent 750

Motherboard
    Z170A MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM | MSI USA | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

Memory
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3200C15D-16GTZSW - Newegg.com

10. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I would say most gaming oriented keyboards are usually MX Reds. This is the latest switch, has least amount of travel and is pretty much least noisy. Doesn't have tactile feedback or the clicky sound once you press it.

Try K70 or something from Ducky. Either way, definitely go with MX Reds in your situation.

11. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

Old IBM keyboards are white-ish :p

12. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Aztlan likes this.
  13. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Thank you for the recommendation.
    That's a good option, I'll ordered it in the near future along with a wrist pad

14. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

15. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Revised the original post with system components.
    I went with a full fledged system after all; Damn hardware freak side of me :mad::bangh:

I guess the components live up to the project name, the previous components made look like a kitty instead of a leopard :lol:

I went with a black case instead since I will prefer a contrast with the white components. I realized I was overdoing the all white component thing.
    Since I went with a black case, there is no need for white keyboard/mouse; thank you azo for recommending that keyboard though ;)

16. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Why on earth do you need a xeon processor? :lol:

17. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

Because it's cheaper than a similar-spec i7?

18. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

In this case, the Xeon and the i7 (6850k) are similar priced.

I just went with Xeon because I don't plan to overclock and its turbo speed goes higher; 4Ghz vs 3.8 Ghz on the 6850k.

Regarding the cooling. Looks like I will go with the EKWB Predator AIO since the Themalright will be touching the first GPU

19. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Heh

I am barely now starting this build even though I had all items two weeks ago :lol:

[​IMG]

some changes are that the case is the same I used in previous builds, Lian Li PC-V2130B.
    I checked the Be Quiet! case in person but didn't like it that much.
    The way the glass panel was secured onto the case made me worried it will brake somehow over time.

I also went with a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 PSU instead of the Snow silent one.

StickyFinga likes this.
  20. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

That packaging makes the graphics cards look so huge.