Projekt Null

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by StickyFinga, Feb 16, 2016.

1. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Intro

Hi guys. Within the next 2 to 4 weeks, I'd like to get a new system, and regarding some of the more
    important parts I'd like to get your opinions and recommendations.

I would like to order all my parts from Elektronik & mehr online kaufen | ALTERNATE Online Shop . Every time I made a big PC change,
    I ordered my parts from them, so for now I'd like to pick parts from this website. Shouldn't really be a
    problem but if you feel like browsing parts for me, I'll link you to the categories if German is a hurdle for
    you. Disregard the language/location options at the bottom. They also change the available stock.

Also, I will have them assemble the PC for me. I'm not in the mood of messing around with mainboard
    clips, thermal paste, and cooling/fans, so I'll pay them the convenience of not having to physically set up
    the PC. I'm not changing my mind on that, just to let you know. I will use their online configurator tool to
    build the PC. This means they'll "force" me to choose some essential parts I don't actually need, like the
    GPU. I will go with a cheap one because I'll build a simple work station out of the remains of my current
    PC. I'll mention that again later.

PROJECT NULL (v2.2 Build 22042017)
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
    • Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU
    • CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken Eco
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 16 (2x Cool GB DDR4-2133 Kit (black, HX421C14FBK2/16, Fury Black)
    • GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 Hall Of Fame 8GB GDDR5
    • SSD: Samsung MZ-75E500B 500 GB
    • HDD: Western Digital WD1003FZEX 1 TB (SATA 600, WD Black)
    • Tower: Fractal Design Define R5 Black
    • PSU: Seasonic X-650
    • Drive: LG GH24NSD1 (DVD Burner)
    • Sound: onboard, Logitech Z906 5.1 THX 500 Watt
    • Card Reader: Transcend TS-RDF5K (external)
    • Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 700 Optical
    • Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    • Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming
    • Controller: Microsoft Xbox One Elite Controller

Previous WIP:
    The Components (Set; Maybe; ??) - Link to Final Build: ALTERNATE.de - Apple, Notebook, PC und Technik günstig kaufen
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
    • Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU
    • CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken Eco
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 16 (2x Cool GB DDR4-2133 Kit (black, HX421C14FBK2/16, Fury Black)
    • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Golden Edition
    • SSD: Samsung MZ-75E500B 500 GB
    • HDD: Western Digital WD1003FZEX 1 TB (SATA 600, WD Black)
    • Tower: Fractal Design Define R5 Black
    • PSU: Seasonic X-650
    • Drive: LG GH24NSD1 (DVD Burner)
    • Sound: onboard
    • Card Reader: Transcend TS-RDF5K (external)

Thoughts

I will put my current GPU, which is an MSI GeForce GTA 970 Golden Edition, into the new PC. The 210 will go to
    a separate PC. I'm not sure if I'll use my current Xonar D1 card in the new system or not. I'll think about that when
    the rest has been decided on.

My main concern is the processor. My Q9550 lasted so freaking long, thanks again for helping me pick this one back
    in the day. I can't spend a fortune on it, but I do want to play modern games and I want it to last a few years. Is an
    i7-4790K enough? I briefly considered 8 cores but I don't think I really need them, do I?

What sort of cooling would you suggest? Is going for water cooling worth it? If not, is there a cooler you can suggest?

I also have no clue what kind of tower I should get. I don't think it has to be a big one, so a medium-sized tower should
    suffice. I do need at least two additional USB ports on the front or at the top of the tower. I don't need any other ports
    like audio, Firewire, etc. Currently debating a card reader. I don't use it very often but when I have to, it's always a pain
    because I currently don't have one.

In total, I'm looking to spend between 750 € and 900 €. You can, for the most part, ignore the money aspect at this stage.
    I'll let you know if a certain part is too expensive for me and we'll find an alternative.

Links

There's no need to rush this, but I would very much appreciate if you guys could shoot some suggestions my way regarding
    the parts I'm not sure about yet. I'll post the links to the categories on the website below, so you'll have less trouble navigating
    it, but I can also look up suggested parts once you've mentioned them if you don't want to browse a German website. Thanks
    in advance!

The links will take you to an overview of the respective category. In the list on the left, you'll likely find a sub-category that might
    reveal a greater selection if necessary. The search at the top works, too, of course, should you happen to have a specific part in
    mind.

CPUs: Günstige AMD & Intel Prozessoren im ALTERNATE Online Shop kaufen
    Mainboards: Günstige Mainboards bequem online im ALTERNATE Webshop kaufen
    CPU Coolers: CPU Kühler / Lüfter günstig online kaufen im ALTERNATE Webshop
    RAM: Arbeitsspeicher für jeden Computer günstig bei ALTERNATE
    SSDs: Bestellen Sie SSD günstig und bequem online im ALTERNATE Webshop.
    HDDs: 2,5 - 3,5 Zoll SATA Festplatten günstig online kaufen | ALTERNATE
    Midi-Towers: https://www.alternate.de/Gehäuse/Midi-Tower
    500W+ PSUs: ab 500 Watt Netzteile

Let me know if I forgot anything. Thank you!

#1 StickyFinga, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    FlashG, The Stig, azo and 1 other person like this.
  2. blaer

blaer Nandeska

that cpu is forth gen. i7 and on the old socket.

id get this: (6th gen i5)
    https://www.alternate.de/Intel%28R%29/Core-i5-6600K-Prozessor/html/product/1210182?tk=7&lk=17956

or if you feel like wasting money, this:
    https://www.alternate.de/Intel%28R%29/Core-i7-6700K-Prozessor/html/product/1210189?tk=7&lk=17956

the last thing you want is old tech. specifically if you wanna use it for a while.
    1156 -> nehalem / westmere
    1155 -> sandy bridge / ivy bridge
    1150 -> haswell / broadwell
    1151 -> skylake

CPU cooler:
    https://www.alternate.de/Cooler-Master/Hyper-212-Evo-CPU-K%C3%BChler/html/product/915234?tk=7&lk=8552

best bang for the buck. im using it myself and id get it again all day long.
    and no, for you, watercooling isnt a valid option if you dont even wanna build the pc yourself.

Mainboard:
    https://www.alternate.de/Hardware-Komponenten-Mainboards-Intel-Sockel-1151/html/listings/23696?tk=7&lk=17954&sort=RATING&order=DESC&showFilter=true&filter_23=ATX&filter_14=Intel%C2%AE+Z170+Express#listingResult

really depends on your brand preference and what you need specifically (like integrated wifi or e-sata etc)

RAM:
    any 2x8gb low profile sticks from corsair or kingston will do. pick one from the verified list of the mobo once you've chosen one.

SSD:
    https://www.alternate.de/Samsung/850-Pro-2-5-256-GB-Solid-State-Drive/html/product/1148246

HDD:
    whatever you trust the most..

PSU:
    https://www.alternate.de/Seasonic/X-650-PC-Netzteil/html/product/1045148?tk=7&lk=8512

Case: quiet or good cooling is the question.

watch this, just for fun..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA5D6KqA8w8

azo and StickyFinga like this.
  3. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

The question would be, what would be your budget so we would know what is the play field here? :)

You could slash off up to €150 just by going with an i5 instead of i7 and getting rid of that aftermarket cooler. I really don't think it's necessary to get one now. You could get one later in the future if you decide to overclock. Which bring me to the question, are you going to? If not, K version of the CPU (4790K) would be wasted money. I went with a non-K variant of the same CPU more than 16 months ago and it eats everything I throw at it and it's not even OC. Furthermore, i5 and i7 perform pretty much identically when it comes to games, however i7 has the advantage in video editing/rendering type of workflows, which as far as I know you don't do much. Looking at the prices on that website, it's a difference of €80 or so.

From my experience, motherboard for £60 or £200 performs exactly the same. The only upside could be more slots, better looks and some say better components. Still not sure about last one :D So what I'm saying, it's not worth going all in for the crazy expensive mobos. Pretty much anything from Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS would do a great job in this mid-end price range.

So going back to the CPU, do you think your plans would change in the future, as in adding rendering/encoding/editing videos in your daily tasks? If not, I would save the cash and get i5 instead, maybe even a newer generation. Even if you do end up doing some of that stuff, i5 is still great at it.

So to sum up, I guess my questions are:
    • Budget? Can we go crazy, where is the line and what would be your financial requests? Maybe you wanna spend as little as you can?
    • Any plans for overclocking?
    • Do you think your workflow is gonna change in the future? Or is it going to be a gaming system?
    By the way, Flash is using i5 as a daily driver and he even does 3D modelling. Afaik the CPU does the job well.

StickyFinga likes this.
  4. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

I don't really have much to add since most has been said already In your case i'd go for a Skylake processor (i5-6600K gets everything done for years to come), also because there's no other motherboards than socket 1151 (Skylake) ones on Alternate. And man did you scare me for a moment.

StickyFinga likes this.
  5. blaer

blaer Nandeska

@azo.. he did mention a budget :D

sure there is, though it is indeed pointless to buy old tech.

[​IMG]

The Stig likes this.
  6. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Ah, somehow I missed that paragraph entirely, my bad :D

So yeah, I would rather go for a Skyake i5 and maybe spend the difference on other parts, a bigger SSD.

@blaer, it isn't pointless to buy an older gen CPU. CPUs don't change much, you know that. Nothing is ground braking with these new CPUs and nothing will be in the next 5 years. However, I do think the price needs to be significantly lower for it to be a good purchase. That 4970K would last for another 5 years without a sweat! But it's a bit too expensive, imo.

7. blaer

blaer Nandeska

it is as pointless as tits on a rhino :p
    not because of how much the cpu has changed, but because of the socket change and the availability of components further down the line.

try buying a sandy bridge mainboard now. my shop as a whooping selection of 1 board for 1155 socket left and its a crappy 50€ asrock one at that.

8. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

You're going too far down the line :p

Haswell isn't as old as Sandy Bridge, however if you actually wanted to build a SB system, I don't think you'd be shopping at your regular stores. Ebay and classifieds would be an ideal place to find whatever you need for such a system. And in the end you could end up with a bitchin' system for like £350 :lol:

But that's going way too into it. There is always a point, you just gotta weigh your options and budget, imo.

In this particular case, that 4970K wouldn't be a bad choice, it's not Sandy Bridge old, however it's way too expensive considering you can get a Skylake for less money.

I'm not saying it's not worth getting new gen thing and stick with old stuff, I'm saying maybe an older (not oldest :p) gen is a good option too, if the deal is good.

I feel like I said the same thing in 23 different ways.

StickyFinga likes this.
  9. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

:lol:, thanks for all the replies, guys!

I didn't realize an i5 would be better than an i7. PC numbers have been confusing me for a while :lol:. I'll have a look at those processors, thank you, blaer.
    I do in fact not want to buy an 'old' processor. I only had a quick look at what was popular and thought that 7 was better than 5. So in this case 4 cores
    with 4,000 MHz is worse than 4 cores with 3,500 MHz? Good thing I'm asking you.

The mainboard link doesn't lead to a specific board, blaer. Can you link me again?

Regarding trusty HDD brands... I have no idea. I'm running a few different ones at the moment, but which one should I go for?

If I pick a quiet case, what temperature differences are we talking about? I would like it to be somewhat quiet, but there's always sound coming out of
    my speakers - be it music, YouTube, or a video game, so it doesn't matter as much. So, 75% good cooling and 25% quietness? :lol:

10. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

An i7 is 'better', but for gaming it will not matter. The i7 processors have Hyper-Threading technology, which means the system will see a 4-core i7 as an 8-core processor. This will make quite a difference in tasks like movie editing/rendering. But since i don't think that's what you'll be doing with the system (at least not full-time) you do not ever need to spend more money on an i7.

Also, as pointed out already, the CPU hasn't been the bottleneck of a gaming system in forever. Just look at how long your Q9550 lasted; it's been through a hell of a lot nVidia GPU releases before it got 'old'. As far as i know, the Q9550 was released in 2008, the time nVidia launched their 9xxx (9800 GTX and such) series of graphics cards. Only now, in 2016, in combination with a much newer GPU it's beginning to show it's age.

azo likes this.
  11. blaer

blaer Nandeska

the i7 is of course the better cpu, but you wouldnt notice a difference 95% of the time the way you use it.
    or at least not in a way that would justify the additional price.

the board link is to all boards for the 1151 socket. pretty tough to recommend a board if we dont know any
    of your requests. MSI, ASUS or Giga.. pick a color scheme you want :D

i only buy WD when it comes to HDDs, but thats me.

its impossible to say how many degrees hotter a system runs because of a certain case. you could argue the point that if your case is
    mesh built, hence has better airflow, that your fans can run slower/quieter and therefor make less noise than with a closed case with
    fans making more noise. since you dont build your own pc, you dont have to worry bout a case being a pain in the ass to build in hehe
    so basically take anything you like aesthetically and that doesnt break your piggy bank.

im partial to corsair and fractal myself..

azo and StickyFinga like this.
  12. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Thanks, guys!

I think I've mentioned it before, I couldn't care less how the mainboard looks. Whether it comes in pink or has
    polka dots on the underside, I couldn't give a fuck. Among those 3 brands, I'd go for one that's the most bang
    for my buck if there is such a thing with mainboards. Integrated WiFi sounds nice, but I'm not sure I need that.
    Would be handy to have, I guess?

I'll go have a look at HDDs and cases now.

I tried selecting that fan in the build tool but it doesn't show up. This is a list of available fans for that socket with
    decent reviews. Do any of those look good to you? http://images.theborggaming.net/images/2016/02/16/fans.jpg

13. thatbastard

thatbastard GT Cruisin'

Thats good news Finga! So I wont have as much insight to add as the other guys but here's my 2 pence anyway...

• CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4790K? - I would go i5 and save some ca$h, for the reasons the guys said already.
    • Mainboard: ?? - Couldn't tell you much on current gen boards, but Asus have always ad good rep and mine is going strong.
    • CPU Cooler: ?? - My Thermalright HR-02 has been great, I also looked at the Hyper 212 Bleh posted - either will do you well and will be less fuss than water cooling.
    • RAM: 16 GB - No preference
    • GPU: MSI N210-MD1GD3H (NVIDIA GeForce 210) - N/A
    • SSD: 250 GB - Samsung 850 Evo or pro depending on prices.
    • HDD: 1 TB - Not much between HD's
    • Tower: ?? - My NZXT Phantom has been cool (literally), although if I was going to pick again I would go windowless with something like a Fractal Design Define R5
    • PSU: Thermaltake Berlin 630W - Dont know much on this one, but I have been very pleased with my EVGA SuperNOVA 750W.
    • Drive: Blu-ray??- Haven't bothered with blu-ray, haven't needed it either.
    • Sound: ?? - I am happy with my motherboard sound, so haven't needed a dedicated card.

StickyFinga likes this.
  14. blaer

blaer Nandeska

noctua are good, but way overpriced and i cant believe how ugly their fans are (color) :D
    i think az has the dark rock 3. monster of a HT. it really is huge and you have to worry about it when looking at cases (height of the HT).

id honestly struggle to choose one of those :/

15. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Intengrated Wi-Fi would be nice, but it shouldn't be the thing that can keep you from buying a board if it isn't there. In case you need to go wireless, you can always buy a £5 adapter on Amazon, which is what I did. I can't have cables laying around, nor can I put under the rug/floor, Wi-Fi is my only option atm. So if you are wired atm, and wanna stay wired, Wi-Fi feature is completely useless and shouldn't effect your decision at all :)

I can only second what blaer said about HDDs. WD is the shit, however Seagate is not a bad option either for your 3.5" storage unit. Blaer also linked an SSD, which is prolly the best choice at the moment. Definitely go for that, imo.

Can't say much about the cases, go for a respectable brand that fits within your budget.

Edit:

Regarding aftermarket cooler, I'm in the "Don't bother yourself about it" camp :lol: At least not now. I mean really, stock cooler does a great job, I can't even hear the thing and my CPU temps are tip top. I can't find a reason to get one.

Edit 2:

Look at these temps:

[​IMG]

And I built this system like 16 months ago, haven't cleaned it yet :D

StickyFinga likes this.
  16. thatbastard

thatbastard GT Cruisin'

Noctua's are also good iirc. The D15 would be a good choice although pricey.

17. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Some say their poo brown helps with the temps, as it has special particles in the plastic blend. Sounds like bollocks to me, though :lol:

18. thatbastard

thatbastard GT Cruisin'

lol, the way I look at it is that if my cpu is cool it runs better, lasts longer, less noisier and also costs me less in electricity with fans going nuts.

19. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Currently looking into it.

Does the RAM memory standard matter? DDR4-2.133 or DDR4-3.000 or DDR4-3.200 or DDR4-2.400?

20. blaer

blaer Nandeska

@sticky.. forget what i said bout wifi. last time i bought a mobo, all damn asus boards had wifi on there. thats why i bought the TUF model.
    now it seems, only the deluxe version comes with wifi and i dont think you wanna pay the premium for it.

funny how things change in 2 years..

this gets my vote..
    https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/Z170-PRO-GAMING-Mainboard/html/product/1214642?tk=7&lk=17954

CPU
    Intel® Socket 1151 for 6th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors
    Supports Intel® 14 nm CPU
    Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
    * The Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 support depends on the CPU types.
    * Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list

Chipset
    Intel® Z170

Memory
    4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel Memory Architecture
    Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
    * Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Graphic
    Integrated Graphics Processor- Intel® HD Graphics support
    Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/RGB/DisplayPort ports
    - Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz
    - Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    - Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    - Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
    Maximum shared memory of 512 MB
    Supports Intel® InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™

Multi-GPU Support
    Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
    Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireXâ„¢ Technology

Expansion Slots
    2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (Single at x16, dual at x8/x8, )
    1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, )
    3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1

Storage
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports
    1 x SATA Express portcompatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key design, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (Supports both SATA & PCIE SSD)*1
    4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
    Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology*2

LAN
    Intel® I219V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s), GameFirst technology
    Anti-surge LANGuard

Audio
    SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
    - High quality 115 dB SNR stereo playback output
    Audio Feature :
    - SupremeFX Shieldingâ„¢ Technology
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
    - Sonic Radar II

USB Ports
    ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
    1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (Type-A)
    ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
    1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (Type-C, Reversible)
    Intel® Z170 chipset :
    6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
    Intel® Z170 chipset :
    8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)

Special Features
    ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 :
    - 5-Way Optimization tuning key perfectly consolidates TPU, EPU, DIGI+ VRM, Fan Xpert 3, and Turbo App
    Gamer's Guardian:
    - ESD Guards on LAN, Audio, KBMS and USB3.0/2.0 ports
    - DRAM Overcurrent Protection
    - Stainless Steel Back I/O
    - Highly Durable Components
    - DIGI+ VRM
    ASUS TPU :
    - Auto Tuning
    - TurboV
    - GPU Boost
    ASUS EPU :
    - EPU
    ASUS Exclusive Features :
    - AI Suite 3
    - Ai Charger+
    - ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode featuring friendly graphics user interface
    - USB 3.1 Boost
    - Disk Unlocker
    ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution :
    - Stylish Fanless Design Heat-sink solution
    - ASUS Fan Xpert 3
    ASUS EZ DIY :
    - ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
    - ASUS EZ Flash 3
    - ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode
    - Push Notice
    ASUS Q-Design :
    - ASUS Q-Shield
    - ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
    - ASUS Q-Slot
    - ASUS Q-DIMM
    Media Streamer
    RAMCache

Operating System Support
    Windows® 10 , 64bit
    Windows® 8.1 , 64bit
    Windows® 7 , 32bit/64bit

Back I/O Ports
    1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
    1 x DVI
    1 x D-Sub
    1 x DisplayPort
    1 x HDMI
    1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
    1 x USB 3.1 (red)Type-A
    1 x USB 3.1 Type-C
    4 x USB 3.0
    2 x USB 2.0
    1 x Optical S/PDIF out
    5 x Audio jack(s)

Internal I/O Ports
    1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s) (19-pin)
    3 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 6 USB 2.0 port(s)
    1 x SATA Express connector: gray, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
    1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key design, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (Supports both SATA & PCIE SSD)
    1 x COM port(s) connector(s)
    4 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
    1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
    1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
    3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (3 x 4 -pin)
    1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
    1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
    1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
    1 x System panel(s)
    1 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
    1 x CPU OV
    1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s)
    1 x 5-pin EXT_FAN(Extension Fan) connector
    1 x ROG extension (ROG_EXT) header(s)
    1 x 14-1 pin TPM connector

Accessories
    User's manual
    I/O Shield
    4 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
    1 x M.2 Screw Package
    1 x CPU installation tool
    1 x Supporting DVD
    1 x SLI bridge(s)
    1 x 12 in 1 Cable Label (s)

BIOS
    128 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI3.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 3.0 ACPI 5.0, Multi-language BIOS,
    ASUS EZ Flash 3, CrashFree BIOS 3, F11 EZ Tuning Wizard, F6 Qfan Control, F3 My Favorites, Quick Note, Last Modified log, F12 PrintScreen, and ASUS DRAM SPD (Serial Presence Detect) memory information

Manageability
    WfM 2.0, DMI 3.0, WOL by PME, PXE

Support Disc
    Drivers
    ASUS Utilities
    ASUS EZ Update
    Anti-virus software (OEM version)

Form Factor
    ATX Form Factor
    12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/overview/

QVL RAM list from asus
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO-GAMING/Z170PG_DRAM_QVL_20150803.pdf

weird, managed to delete some of my own post lol

sticky. the numbers are RAM frequency. you want at least 1600..

StickyFinga likes this.