Projekt Athlake

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by azo, Feb 1, 2017.

1. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Hello, gentlemen

My father has been using his Athlon X2 system for a long time now. I picked the parts and assembled it myself, back when it was all very fresh and exciting to me (I still get excited about building PCs, hehe). I am delighted to say, that the system has served my dad very well. A few years ago I combined all the best parts of my old PC with the parts in my dad's computer and it turned out to be a pretty solid build, considering the age of components. Recently the oldie, but goldie ATI Radeon HD4850 decided to give up, which wasn't a shock after almost 9 years of usage. He managed to do stuff that it really wasn't meant for by the end of its lifespan. Stuff like editing videos in his spare time as a hobby, rendering a few effects here and there. It wasn't the best at editing 1080p GoPro files, but it did the job.

Eventually it was time to admit that the system can no longer work sufficiently and it became too slow, so I started the most fun task of building a new PC - picking out parts. Yay! :D

I picked out the best I could considering the given budget. I wanted a good bang for your buck type of a build, so I didn't even look at performance/gaming tier parts, as those are usually a bit overpriced for what they are. I also decided to keep the original case, which is still decent enough.

My main goal was to find a good quad-core i5 variant for good price, so luckily I got good deal on one. I had time to wait, so waiting for a better price wasn't a problem. The whole system was actually purchased back in mid December (iirc) and was just waiting to be assembled. I didn't wait for Kaby Lake or Ryzen, because it didn't seem worth it, especially considering the deal I got for the 6500.

[​IMG]

So the specs.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
    • GPU: Gigabyte GTX1050 2GB
    • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2V,
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
    • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    • HDD: Samsung 250GB, Western Digital 500GB (both from previous build)
    • PSU: Corsair CX 430W, 80 Plus Bronze, 120mm

Other stuff:

• 1x 80mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fan
    • SteelSeries Rival 100 mouse
    • Old ass Chicony keyboard (my dad won't replace it, no matter what)
    • 24" LG 24MP48HQ IPS LED FullHD Monitor
    • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually haven't had time to test out any games, but the system runs cool and quiet so far. I did ran a few stress tests and all seemed to work well. Plans for the future are to upgrade RAM to 16GB (maybe 2 years from now) and/or replace stock cooler if there are any issues with it. It will most likely be okay for what it does.

2. The Stig

The Stig Special Members

Please tell me you removed the Athlon X2 sticker! For the rest; nicely done build, the form factor reminds me of the PC I built like one year or so ago! Hope it gets put to good use.

3. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Ha!, I like the project name :D

What did you do with the board and processor? recycled them or just went to old electronics box?

4. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Haha, I specifically left it there! I wanted it to look like an old POS system, which it sorta does. Sleeper ftw. :D Too bad the case isn't beige plastic looking! :lol:

I had a lot of spare parts laying around, a spare SSD, a few mobos etc. I assembled what I had left in my old Cooler Master tower, in case my parents needed a spare PC. It will be more useful like that than throwing it away. I still have an old spare 4600+ X2 CPU and AM2 board from Gigabyte. I'd like to make myself a keychain from that CPU one day. :D

So the other system is:

Athlon X2 5000+
    MSI AM2 board
    500W PSU
    120GB ADATA SSD
    6GB RAM DDR2
    MSI NVIDIA 7600GT (LOL, this thing just refuses to die!)

[​IMG]

I guess it won't be used much anyway, but it'll be there. Waiting.

#4 azo, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    The Stig and thatbastard like this.
  5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I remember that you said you will turn that 4600+ X2 to a keychain years ago :p :lol:

Impressive that you still have a working system that old.

The oldest working system I have is an Intel i5-760 system from 2010

6. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

"Working" and "being used" are two different things. :lol: