Phones' Desktops and Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by azo, Jul 12, 2012.

1. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

We have a topic for sharing wallpapers and desktop pictures, and nowadays pretty much everybody is using smartphones. There are people who mod the hell out of it and achieve some pretty darn good looking backgrounds/themes/visual styles for their smartphones. Whatever system you have, iOS, Android, Symbian, Windows Phone or MeeGo, please post your background/desktop/wallpapers here. Maybe others will find it interesting :).

To make a screenshot of your phone's desktop, here is how you do it:

• iOS - Press "Home" and "Sleep" button at the same time. Picture will appear in your photo gallery.
    • Symbian - There is a little tool called ScreenSnap. You can find it in Nokia Store it is completely free.
    • Android - If you’re using Android 4.0 or later, this is easy. Just press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time. You’ll see an animation on the screen, indicating that the screenshot was saved. Android will save the screenshot to your Gallery. Launch the Gallery app and tap Screenshots to view and share your screenshots. (Source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-take-screenshots-on-android/)
    • Windows Phone - Well, that is a bit tricky for this one, as it seems. There are several tools for that: Screen Capture, PonyPhoto. I am sure you can find more tools in Windows Market, which is growing each day. (Source: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/3-ways-to-take-screenshots-on-windows-phone-7-how-to/)

Okay, I hope this covers the question of how to take a screenshot of your phones desktop.

I will start with mine. Nokia E6 running Nokia Belle OS (also known as Symbian).

[​IMG]

2. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Great idea, azo! And I'm not just saying this because I just got this new phone :lol:.

A feature of the stock launcher used on my phone is taking screenshots by using the edge of my hand to swipe over the screen.
    There's lots of this motion stuff going on and most of it is really useful. Anyway, I'm still switching between wallpapers for my lock
    screen but this is how it looks now. I accidentally got a little of the ripple effect going on while taking a screenshot of it. On this
    launcher, the wallpaper doesn't scroll horizontally. The screenshots also appear quite a bit brighter than they are on the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like we both got a nature thing going on here, and yay for WhatsApp!

3. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Very nice wallpaper you got there, mate! Why aren't you using the panorama background feature? It works great on Android :D.

Nice lockscreen too, except for the AccuWeather.com sign. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Too bad that Firefox icon is low-res one, compared to others. But I guess it's not too noticable on the screen itself.

By the way, that whirl effect while unlocking the screen is so much fun :lol:.

4. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

As I said, this launcher doesn't support scrollable wallpapers. My old Desire had that feature and
    I have a few other launchers installed that support it but the animation for switching between
    screens is very nice so it doesn't feel like I've lost a feature.

I like the wallpaper a lot myself. I found it it on deviantART http://fav.me/d55onnc .

The lockscreen is stock, too. I purchased an app for customizing the lockscreen but haven't installed it
    on the new phone because it doesn't come with this ripple effect, heh. Compared to other phones, this
    lockscreen is quite customizable. I can disable the clock and the weather, I can even put a couple of
    quick launch icons on it. When I use the weather display, it will always show the AccuWeather logo, too.
    I don't mind it at all though.

I didn't even notice that the Firefox icon is a little low-res, it's indeed not noticeable at all on the phone.

Thanks for the comment, mate! :D

5. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Woot, that guy has some pretty darn good wallpapers :D.

6. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I'm just gonna leave this one here and hope that more people would share their screenshots too :p.

[​IMG]

7. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Mine hasn't changed much. My lockscreen is the Viper in my sig and the rest is this:

[​IMG]

8. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Man, I love the freedom of Android and how much you can customize it if you really get into it.

9. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Heh indeed, this isn't customized at all, basically :D.

Are you planning on getting a new toy anytime soon?

10. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I am satisfied with my current phone at the moment, it's working fine and looks like new. So technically, there is really no actual point in upgrading. But as I am a bit of a gadget freak, I do get bored easily, so the upgrade would totally be a result of "do want", rather than "I really need it".

That said, I'm kinda broke right now, so I'm just talking out of my ass :lol:.

11. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Updated my Nokia E6 to Nokia Belle Feature Pack 3, previously known as Carla/Donna OS, but as they got cancelled, Nokia developers squeezed new features into old OS and called it a "Refresh", rather then releasing a whole new Nokia OS, such as Nokia Carla and Nokia Donna.

Several new widgets, improved browser (I use Opera anyways), overall performance upgrades. Guess it's a bit faster.

Finally a proper weather widget. Previously there wasn't an official one, just an app, so people had to hack the phone for that. Works really well. Click on it and you get all the information for the day and week. Anyway, updated my screen layout a little, so I'm just gonna share it with you.

[​IMG]

12. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Looking good, azo. I like that kind of wallpaper a lot. I've used one like that on my desktop PC before, too.

I'm finally running Jelly Bean, so everything is a bit smoother and the RAM management is better. I can't take
    a screenshot of my lockscreen since the phone is, well, locked. So this is a picture of the image I used for my
    lockscreen on the left and a picture of my main homescreen where I'm currently trying out a new launcher. Same
    wallpaper still, heh.

[​IMG]

13. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Yeah, I like these kind of wallpapers. I am also using the same wallpaper on my laptop.

I heard that JB is a lot better in every way. I guess Project Butter was not just a load of bs afterall :D.

Scary girl there :p.

I forgot to post my lockscreen. Same image, though. You can't set a different image just for lockscreen, as it uses the wallpaper which is set for one of the home screens. If you lock your phone from homescreen 1, it will shown as a dimmed homescreen 1 image, and so on.

[​IMG]

Dang, I need to go to bed, it's late :lol:.

14. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Nice screens,
    Hopefully the Jelly Bean update is released here soon. They are always slow in releasing updates.

I hope it fixes the annoyances the Galaxy S3 has. If not, I don't think I will keep this phone for a long time.
    The wow factor when I initially got it has disappeared.

15. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Many Android users don't use the official apps for most services, it's just the nature of Android, I think.
    I'm using many alternative apps myself but the official Twitter one is currently the best looking one.

[​IMG]

@Az:
    Which phone network are you using, Az? I'd like to check if it really isn't available for you yet.
    What kind of annoyances do you have with the phone?

16. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Verizon is the provider. There is a leak of the latest jelly bean but is not final so I am going to wait.

as for annoyances, the one I mentioned before where the screen turns off during calls.
    The only way to disable that is by selecting call settings, but then your face touching the screen becomes a problem.
    another annoyance is the auto dim of the display, even though I have such setting disabled.

17. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Looks like you might be finally getting your update, Az.

I'm trying out a new launcher ported from the Xperia Android devices. Looks spiffy, will see how it works in everyday use.

[​IMG]

I have 5 different launchers installed :lol:. Fuck yeah, Android :p.

18. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

I like how we are the only ones posting this stuff here. Nobody cares :lol:.

Looks nice, though I personally didn't see a big difference between stock Samsung and stock Xperia launchers.

19. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Its ridiculous that they,Verizon, are the last ones to roll out the update :roll_old:
    This thread is making me start modifying my phone though, I still have the regular wallpapers lol

20. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

These are just pics of my lockscreen and homescreens, azo. I couldn't possibly show you what's different to other
    launchers with just these pictures. But for starters it uses less RAM, is nicely smooth, lets me resize widgets and it
    lets me adjust the grids anyway I want. Besides that, it's fun to try out new things :D.

Regular wallpapers, Az, that phone is wasted on you :p.