PC stutters when I do...anything...

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by CLR-GTR, Aug 1, 2010.

1. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

Since a few days ago my pc is running as if it has a problem with everything. The big problem: it stutters with every little thing I want to do. I can also hear something is wrong: if I play music (youtube and winamp) the music stutters and stretches with small gaps, as if it's shredded, whenever I perform something.

Basically, naming a few examples won't be the best thing, because anything I do causes this stuttering. There's no difference in what stutters and what not, it's only how severe it can get. Everything causes stuttering, from opening the Startmenu or minimalizing windows, via refreshing webpages or visiting other pages, all the way up to zooming, panning or rotating views in 3ds max 9 SP2.

Any more info needed? I hope this can be an easy fix, I'm not looking forward to another system reinstall.

2. Racegod

Racegod AMG LOL

I am not a hardware pro, but I had a similar problem, which was caused by a full harddisk. My system partition was full and after I have deleted some stuff, I could run Cinema 4D and partially also websites and music again flawless. You might just check your disk space.

3. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

The C part, on which I only put installed stuff (all documents and 3d files etc go to D), is 198 GB large, and has 84 GB free space left.

4. Racegod

Racegod AMG LOL

Okay, then... I can't help you, sorry mate. :-?

5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

have you done troubleshooting?

run memory test
    http://www.memtest.org/

have you tested your hard drive, using the tools from the manufacture's website?

is the windows installation old?
    what are the full system specifications?

6. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

First do an OS clean up with a decent clean up tool. TuneUp Utilities or Crap Cleaner might help:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    http://www.tune-up.com/download/

These random slow downs can also be caused by fuckups in the registry, so one of these programs could help you. So this might help you as well:

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/

Do a full registry/temporary files/disk clean up and see how it goes from there.

If that doesn't help, then you might have a trojan/virus inside or maybe the hardware (most likely HDD or memory) could be failing.

7. blaer

blaer Nandeska

8. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Have you installed any new drivers?

9. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

My specs are:

Intel Core2Duo E6420 ~ 2.13GHz
    4GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz
    Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS 320GB
    NVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256MB

*on a side note, I'll be replacing the processor and the vidcard once I know what TDU2 needs to play at high settings, but I bet that'll be known after release...*

Results of the given links:
    Memtest: I downloaded two options. The Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) doesn't recognize the USB hub which I use for mp3-players and usb-sticks. The other option, the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), seems to be an ISO with MEMTEST.IMG and BOOT.CAT, and I don't know what I should do with those two.
    CCleaner: It showed a massive amount of stuff that could go, but after cleaning up the stuttering was still present.
    Registry Mechanic: It was a trial, which means it only fixes stuff in the first 6 categories. Too bad 5 of the 6 had 0 errors, most errors were in I believe the last 2 or 3 categories.
    HD-Tune: I had it to scan C for errors, no errors found.
    Defraggler: it seemed it was time to defrag, but it didn't help for the stuttering.

The PC is now 3 years old, we bought it in June or July 2007, and the stuttering only happened less than a week ago, could it be that the HDD is ''wearing out''? Maybe not a perfect compare, but our previous pc didn't show such behaviour for 6 years of same use.

I forgot to mention, Windows Taskmanager shows a constant level of memory usage, but when I look at CPU it goes up from almost 0% idle to near 60% when I scroll up or down a website, both the page itself as a type-box.

Or maybe, if it's the memory, is there another way to test the memory? Or Az, can you tell me how to get that Memtest working?

10. blaer

blaer Nandeska

if the hdtune tests all returned ok, then the hdd isnt dying just yet.
    time to do a fresh windows install imho.

11. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Try Ubuntu Live CD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Download ISO, burn it into a CD and then boot the computer from it. Choose "Test Memory" option, this will launch memtest. Leave the test for a night.

After that, boot Linux again to check the hard drive for bad sectors.

Also, I recommend using SeaTools:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

This is a tool special for Seagate HDDs.

Edit:

This one for registry:

http://www.regcure.com/

It's great, helped me many times.

12. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Memtest: I downloaded two options. The Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) doesn't recognize the USB hub which I use for mp3-players and usb-sticks. The other option, the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), seems to be an ISO with MEMTEST.IMG and BOOT.CAT, and I don't know what I should do with those two.

Or maybe, if it's the memory, is there another way to test the memory? Or Az, can you tell me how to get that Memtest working?

burn the ISO to a blank cd,
    using the burning software you use
    or Imgburn

once you done that, reboot your system with the cd in the dvd drive
    and the program will begin automatically (assuming you have the dvd drive as first boot in the bios)

leave it running for three passes
    shouldn't take that long to run

13. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

Ok, so that's how to do that.

Well, I had it do a couple of passes, it said nothing's wrong with the memory...

In addition, azo, thanks for the suggestions, but regcure is also just a trial. It detects a lot but it won't do anything unless I buy it. I had Eusing Free Registry Cleaner to clean it up. The Seagate seemed like a helpful tool, but out of 7 Basic Tests you can do with the HDD, it only allowed a Short and a Long generic test, it couldn't even give Drive Information.

One way or another though, it seems it's Vista again, just like last time. I think that I'll have to make another call to that colleague to help me out in two weeks.

14. blaer

blaer Nandeska

id stay away from registry cleaners in general.
    if you need to use one, use the one in ccleaner.

the two trial versions you used now just added more crap to the registry lol.
    (as any tool you install)

maybe instead of reinstalling vista, you should upgrade to win7. just a thought...

15. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

Ye I'm starting to think that's what should be done, upgrade to 7.

I'll be looking at that when I get back from vacation.

Thanks anyway for all the help.

16. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

when I was looking around for Vista + stuttering
    it seems is a common problem with that crappy O.S.

and i think I remember to experienced stuttering in the brief time I used it
    do yourself a favor and go with Win 7 like blaer mentioned

17. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

Having done several as clean as possible Vista reinstalls, it still doesn't work. I still hear the stuttering, when moving the mouse over replies below a youtube song (also makes music of Winamp stutter like hell), but also still when trying to minimalize and maximize a window I hear a small stutter, something I'm sure I shouldn't hear.

I think I'll be getting a new pc with Windows 7 then. No other option than that.

Thanks for all suggestions.

18. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

good call on getting a new system. you have an idea on what to get?

19. CLR-GTR

CLR-GTR Best Before ####

Not really, except the Windows 7 part. I am not even sure if I should try to get a new one straight away, or wait a bit (I first wanted to wait for TDU2 to get more details on how it runs at X specs, but the delay smashed that...). As far as this still applies to pc's today, I don't want a pc that's purely aimed at either gaming or designsoftware (3ds max, SolidWorks, PS) because I want to do both. I haven't asked anybody in detail about what should be chosen and what not.

A friend recommended ATI vidcards as they would be much cheaper. Any comments on this?

Oh and I'll only be looking at a new pc since the rest of the devices are doing fine, so I'm not going to replace those now.

20. blaer

blaer Nandeska

Having done several as clean as possible Vista reinstalls, it still doesn't work. I still hear the stuttering, when moving the mouse over replies below a youtube song (also makes music of Winamp stutter like hell), but also still when trying to minimalize and maximize a window I hear a small stutter, something I'm sure I shouldn't hear.

I think I'll be getting a new pc with Windows 7 then. No other option than that.

Thanks for all suggestions.

if you can hear something, then it has to be the hdd.
    get a new hdd and do a fresh install. that would be a lot cheaper unless you
    wanna upgrade anyway. if you still get problem and need to buy a new pc, you
    already have the hdd lol..