New graphics card

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by StickyFinga, Jan 29, 2012.

1. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I was thinking of getting a better graphics card. Something that's considerably better than my current AMD Radeon HD 5830UD.

I think I'd like to go for an nVidia card this time. Game devs just seem to prefer it and PhysX does make a difference in more and
    more games. I'd like it to have 2GB of RAM and it would be fantastic if there was a version with 2 fans. From my experience two
    fans just do a better job and are more silent as well.

I'll probably get some more RAM as well. An additional 2GB should be enough. Total would then be 6GB. So does anyone have any
    suggestions for a good upgrade that doesn't turn my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 into a bottleneck for the rest of the system? It has
    been a while since I've last taken a serious look at the GPU market.

2. blaer

blaer Nandeska

3. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

4. blaer

blaer Nandeska

5. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Good looking out :cool:.

Added a link which should be that same card.

6. blaer

blaer Nandeska

yep, thats the one - SC = superclocked.

7. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Figured, thanks. Let's see what the Azman says :D.

8. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

9. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Money is not the issue.

:lol:, I wish. 200 to 250 € would be okay I think. I play at 1680x1050 at the moment. I don't think
    I'll upgrade to 2 1920x1080 screens anytime soon because my desk lacks the space for two of them.

That card you linked Az looks and sounds very promising as well. Do you guys think the 50 € difference
    is justified? Apparently the MSI comes with an additional cooling tool. Not like I ever needed one but hey.

10. blaer

blaer Nandeska

11. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

That one has 1GB of RAM. So I'm confused. What's more important: number of cores or amount of memory?

12. blaer

blaer Nandeska

my 1gb 460gtx never ran out of ram on me yet :lol:

until az comes, let me put it this way. the memory is a buffer and with your cpu, im not sure you can
    actually profit from the bigger buffer as your cpu needs to fill it. also since the smaller card is faster, it
    needs a less as big memory hehe
    well thats how i look at it anyway..

edit: also keep in mind that apparently theres a different chip in the two cards in question..

http://www.gpureview.com/nvidia-gtx-500-chip-175.html
    http://www.gpureview.com/nvidia-gf114-chip-177.html

13. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Since you are playing at 1680x1050 resolution, you are not going to benefit from getting a 2 GB card. Memory is important if you are playing at high resolutions, more than 1920X1200 resolution with AA/AF settings and graphical settings to high.

considering your processor and resolution, you are better with a the original Geforce GTX 560 Ti
    http://www.alternate.de/html/product/GIGABYTE/GV-N560OC-1GI/807550/?
    http://www.alternate.de/html/product/EVGA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti_DS_Superclocked/868508/?

you could also consider the Asus and MSI alternatives but are slightly more expensive, depending which one you prefer.
    about the 448 core model, that's just a limited edition card with the performance between the Geforce GTX 560 Ti and the 570

@ blaer, don't confuse him more than he already is lol

14. blaer

blaer Nandeska

15. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Great, thanks a lot guys :cool:.

I'll probably go for the Gigabyte one. I was gonna get the EVGA but many of the reviewers report that
    its fans can get a little noisy. After my really, really quiet 5830 UD, I don't want to go back to having a
    noisy card. I realize it can't be totally quiet but still.

However, they reviews say that for games like BF3 (just an example) the Gigabyte card has to be
    flashed with the newest BIOS from the Gigabyte website. This is the first time I hear about flashing
    a graphics card BIOS. [edit]: But I just checked and the updated BIOS is an executable file. I peeked
    into it and I guess it won't be too difficult flash the card. Was worried there for a second.

I'll probably go for that one then. Already found a buyer for my current card, too. I'll sleep on it and
    decide in the next couple of days. Thanks for the help as always. Any last words? :D

16. blaer

blaer Nandeska

i can't say anything about the noise of the 560, but i can not hear my 460 at all.
    im sure you'll love the Gigabyte one :cool:

17. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

If gigabyte is proving an executable file to flash the card, you shouldn't worry about it, it will be piece of cake. I remember when I used to flash a video card's bios through DOS using a floppy disk, ah those were the times :D.

you are going to notice a big improvement in performance, that's for sure :)

18. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Are you frequently running 3D applications like games blaer? Do you have time for gaming?

Haha, Az. Yeah I don't have much experience with that. Though I did work even with the huge
    floppies when I was younger.

Thanks again, you two. I'll throw a RAM stick in the shopping card along with the card and order
    it today or tomorrow :cool:.

19. blaer

blaer Nandeska

i played some games when i got it, but tbh, i haven't played anything since about november :lol:
    but the games i did play, like crysis, medal of honor, dirt, grid, wolfenstein, sbk2011 were all to
    the same effect -> i couldn't hear anything.
    if i encode and let the cpu run at 100% for a while, i can hear the cpu fan under full load, otherwise the
    pc is completely silent :D

20. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Sweet :D.

One last thing. Atm I got a DDR2 4096MB (2x2G:cool: 800 Corsair XMS2 DHX CL4-4-4-12 RAM kit
    and I'd like to upgrade to 6 GB. Would this be the right choice or so some of the numbers not add up?

[edit]: Nevermind. Talked to Buster. I'll stick with 4GB for now.