New gfx card

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by FlashG, Apr 30, 2012.

1. FlashG

FlashG Tastes like raisins

I'm thinking to upgrade my gfx card in the near future also. I thought my previous install of Windows 7 was corrupted and I got sudden system freezes. I still have them occasionally when I'm browsing web or playing something. I still got warranty but I'm getting bit fed up with it.

I think I'll go with nVidia next and already been thinking this one -> http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=855

Do you have any experiences with Gainward, the one I linked has 1.25GB memory. I read from Stickys thread that there's only need for 2GB if I'd play with bigger resolution? I'm using 1920x1080 myself

Edit

Looks like Gigabytes card costs the same in the shop I'd buy it from, has same specs. Sticky have you been satisfied to your card?

2. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Yes, I am quite satisfied with my card. It's a bit loud, louder than my previous card, but it performs well.

I can max it out with my system though, not with all games but at least with one of my games. I do have
    two monitors but my games only run on one of the screens. The other still displays Windows - that probably
    requires some of the card's power.

But if I can max it out with a 1680x1050 screen, I could imagine you'd do well with a 2GB graphics card.

3. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

What is your current video card?
    also what are the prices between the normal Geforce GTX 560 Ti, GTX 570 and the one you linked where you live?

4. FlashG

Current card is XFX ATi Radeon HD5770 1GB, it's been rather good but it is very noisy when I play and those freezes annoys me. With quick Google search it seems that I'm not the only one who is experiencing these problems with the same card.

GTX 570 costs way too much compared to GTX 560 Ti, These are the cards I've been looking:

Gainward GTX 560Ti 448 cores
    Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 448 cores
    Zotac GTX 570

@Stickyfinga
    Good to hear mate, as said mine is loud as hell but I believe that those three fans of Gigabyte would keep the card cool enough without making too much noise lol

If I would buy the Gigabyte I'd need to make sure it would fit in my case. The card is huge almost 30cm :?

5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I was going to recommend you to wait for the GTX 660 Ti but apparently that one is still months away.
    Anyway
    Those are some weird prices, the normal GTX 560 models costs about the same as the 448 versions you linked
    That is a big jump in price from a 560 Ti to a 570

I will say you should go for the Gainward model, after all they all have the same warranty in Europe don't they?

6. blaer

blaer Nandeska

in my local shop, the GTX 570 HD is the exact same price as the GTX 560 448.

the normal GTX 560 TI is 10 bucks cheaper and the GTX 560 is another 90 bucks cheaper.

and here in Euro :p
    GTX 560 = €149.-
    GTX 560 Ti = €240.-
    GTX 560 Ti 448 = €249.-
    GTX 570 HD = €249.-

i only looked at the EVGA cos thats what i have and im super happy with it..

7. FlashG

well I'll be, I wonder why the GTX 570 is so much more expensive here
    I'm sure I'd be cool with the 560 Ti 448 also hehe

All cards seem to have 2 years warranty here, some might have even 3 years

8. blaer

blaer Nandeska

i dont think the 570 is any faster than the 560 ti 448 anyway. on paper maybe, but not noticeable in the real world hehe

9. FlashG

indeed :)

what about the memory? I'm planning to buy second screen sometime also, is the 1280MB enough?

10. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

are you planing of gaming with both screens?
    You will still be able to play with both but most likely you will have to lower the graphics settings due to the increase in resolution

11. FlashG

only one for games so it'd be enough then I assume?

12. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Sorry, I don't believe it's enough. Of course it's a money difference but I can max out my 1GB on
    one 1680x1050 screen with a game that's already out. If you plan to run current games on a full
    HD screen, it might work properly but the card will be very close to using 100% of it's capacity.

Having some reserves might be a good idea, no?

13. FlashG

indeed you're right, the price will go higher then though. tough decisions :lol:

14. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Sorry, I don't believe it's enough. Of course it's a money difference but I can max out my 1GB on
    one 1680x1050 screen with a game that's already out. If you plan to run current games on a full
    HD screen, it might work properly but the card will be very close to using 100% of it's capacity.

Having some reserves might be a good idea, no?

Can you give more details? What game?
    It sounds like your system is bottlenecking the card.

@ Flash, just go with the GTX 560 448 video card
    You will see a great jump in performance from the 5770 card you currently have

15. FlashG

yeap I think I will, can't afford to buy 2GB card :)
    Thanks guys for all the info

16. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Az, I don't remember which game it was. Could have been Metro.

But with 'max out' I wasn't talking about the overall performance of my PC. I have a gadget
    on my second screen that shows how much of it's power, memory and fan speed is being used
    at the moment. I was referring to my card's performance only.