General Purpose 17" Notebook

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by StickyFinga, Sep 19, 2016.

1. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

A friend of mine is looking for a 17" notebook that should have a decent CPU. GPU is irrelevant since it won't be
    used for gaming. Price point is around 400 €. Do any of you have suggestions? I really don't know much about
    laptops.

17-Zoll-Notebook

Are there any notebooks you would recommend on this list?

2. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

3. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Just my humble opinion, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why would anyone need a "17 laptop. In this price range it won't be a gaming/workstation machine anyway, which is what "17 is mostly used for.

• It's heavy and big
    • In this price range you limit yourself to weaker parts due to bigger screen, which costs more to make
    • There aren't a lot of 17" laptops, so again you limit your options a little
    For that amount of money you could probably find something that has 8GB of RAM and for a little less than that HP.

I guess what I'm asking is, does he specifically need 17" laptop or what is something from top of his head?

However, since you set your target around 400, it's gonna be a little hard. You would either have to set your limit higher or set your standards a little lower, something like an i3 instead of i5. Which is still pretty good, imo.

Hm, that site doesn't have anything with an i5 and 8GB RAM for less than 500 euros. Is it the only shop you can/want to use?

Edit:

Going trough laptop prices on that website I can tell they are a little higher than I would expect them to be.

Edit 2:

Nevermind, the prices seem to be mostly ok. I went through shopping catalog on a few other websites and they are mostly the same. The fuck, when did these prices become so much higher. I can swear you could have bought such a machine for much cheaper like half a year ago.

Anything with 8GB RAM immediately becomes 550+ machine. It's better just to get the 4GB machine and get some RAM from Amazon for a couple of tenners and upgrade it.

Anyway, I just realized I contributed ZERO to your question with this wall of text. :lol:

#3 azo, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    StickyFinga likes this.
  4. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Haha, I still appreciate it, azo. He wants a Laptop for his mom. She's used to 17" so he wanted to have another one.

This doesn't require the intensity of research we usually do when we try to choose PC hardware for ourselves, so it
    really isn't necessary to put that much thought into it, but I still appreciate that you took the time, mate!

Thank you, too, Az. I sent him the link to that one and that's the one they'll order. Cheers!

Aztlan likes this.
  5. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

@azo, thanks for the laugh, your post was entertaining :lol: ;)

Good to know Sticky.
    It might be higher than the 400 euro price they were looking for but that laptop's CPU (U6200) is twice as fast as compare to the processors on laptops that are priced slightly lower in price.