Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Reviews

Discussion in 'Game Previews & Reviews' started by Aztlan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Reviews are out there
    The general consensus is that the game is being held back by the story/plot

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I am going to check if I can get it at a discount on Ebay or wait around Xmas during the Steam sale

2. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

So, how is the game finga?

3. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #COCAPLANTS

It's Human Revolution 2.0, which is fine. It doesn't run terribly but there is room for optimization.
    I'm sure they can squeeze out a few more frames here and there and optimize some of the more
    special graphics options. There are many of those in this game, like volumetric fog, tessellation,
    screenspace reflections, ambient occlusion, depth of field and a few more technical ones. One of
    these reliably crashed an in-game cinematic for me, so I had to turn my settings down until I got
    past it.

[​IMG]

Most people are having trouble with the MSAA setting, which seems to tank the game's performance
    considerably. Mine is disabled - surprisingly, I barely notice it. I would like to turn it on though. Give
    the game a week and we'll hopefully get some performance optimization patches. As far as I know,
    the devs (all of them, not just Squeenix) have a strike team in place to tackle these problems.

I love that I can play Deus Ex with Adam Jensen again, but right now it's a little rough. I have all
    the fancy graphics enabled and my game doesn't stutter or anything. A few more FPS would be
    nice. Check back in a week.

[​IMG]

Thanks to my stealthy, hack-y, non-lethal approach of the first mission, it took me 2 hours to finish
    it :lol:. This game will keep me busy for a while. I already feel totally at home playing Deus Ex again,
    because I heard YouTubers/Twitch streamers I follow/watch have issues with playing stealthily
    while tackling a certain portion of the first mission - I had zero issues, because I'm fully committed
    to stealth - they think they are but they aren't and therefore they miss or don't think of ways to
    tackle obstacles the game throws at you. It might be a bit condescending, but this proves to me
    that, scientifically speaking, this game is my shit! :D

Seeing how Deus Ex was born on PC, I'm sure we'll get some PC optimization over the next couple
    of days. I want to enable at least 2 x MSAA, because this affects the UI text elements, which can
    sometimes be a bit hard to read.

[​IMG]

thatbastard likes this.
  4. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I guess I better wait for a few patches before I jump into this game.
    I was considering buying it today.

5. FlashG

FlashG Tastes like raisins

People are moaning about microtransactions, they only work for one save game. Is buying ingame credits only faster way to buy upgrades/weapons? If that's the case I don't see a reason why they grief about it.

6. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #COCAPLANTS

No harm in waiting, @Aztlan.

@FlashG. the pacing of the game seems fine. The microtransactions seem very unnecessary. You don't need them;
    you'd probably end up ruining the game if you decided to buy additional items. AFAIK, most items affect not the main
    game but a separate game mode outside of the story called Breach. It's Deus Ex's version of SUPERHOT, an abstract-
    looking first person time manipulation action game on Steam.

They've probably been forced onto the devs by the publisher. Microtransactions suck, but I'm my own man, I know
    when to avoid them.

FlashG likes this.
  7. FlashG

FlashG Tastes like raisins

Figured it'd be something like that but of course also understand why people don't like them. Too bad white collar people get mixed in gaming where they don't have any idea how things work.

8. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #COCAPLANTS

The bottom line seems to be that the game itself is absolutely fantastic if you can
    ignore the microtransactions and other shady stuff implemented by the publisher.
    It plays great, except for the 2 places I had my game crash, and looks really good.
    What bugs there are, they seem to be actively looking into fixing them as soon as
    possible.

Digital Foundry had a look at the game's technological aspects. It doesn't delve into
    any social missteps by the PR team (like Aug Lives Matter) and doesn't mention the
    crashes - but you still get a pretty good idea of how the game works and looks.