Core tempoeratures

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by StickyFinga, May 11, 2012.

1. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I have a question regarding core temperatures. I have core load and core temperatures constantly displayed
    on my second screen so I know what's going on, especially when I play hardware demanding games.

The fan-based cooling of my midi tower is not perfect but it's always worked out. I have a fan in the PSU at
    the bottom, a big fan at the top and another big one cooling the CPU with the heatsink. Not sure about the
    CPU fan but the other two blow hot air out of the tower.

So in the past months my idle CPU temperatures were in the 65°C range. Idle as in, browser, winamp, chatting
    and the Windows stuff like moving and copying files. 3.5GB of 8GB in use. Keep in mind we have quite warm
    months right now. GPU at around 50°C; it has to support 2 screens all the time.

Recently the CPU temperature has been going very high while playing games. I just finished Portal 1 for the
    first time in my life and the 1st core was running around 99°C most of the time. Since not many games are
    optimized for multiple cores, the first two cores always have to do most of the work and are therefore often
    higher in temperature than the other two I have. As a reminder, I'm running an Intel Q9550 Core2 Quad CPU.

The temperatures can't be around 100°C all the time though because I can't smell anything and the PC is
    not shutting itself off because the CPU gets too hot, either. That feature is enabled, I know that for a fact.

I also know that modern chips sort of reduce their performance if they start to run hot in order to prevent
    damage. I've been playing for a while and haven't noticed anything. GPU never exceeds 75°C due to its 2 fans.

I'm just throwing facts at you, sorry for the disorganized post. For about half a year, I'm also getting an odd
    BIOS message every time I start the PC when it wasn't previously used (reboot, short break, etc.). It says it's
    detected a CPU Fan Error and I have to press F1 to continue. When I first got that message, I opened the
    tower and started the PC. The CPU fan was working so after some googling, I thought it's some sort of
    sensor error I can't be bothered to attempt to fix. Had no problems with the PC, even with that message.

Any ideas or comments on the temperatures? Will I be fine until it decides to shut down for the first time?
    The only thing I can and probably will do in the next couple of days is clean the inside and remove as much
    dust as possible. I will not remove the heatsink because it has some ugly black pins that will definitely break
    if I try to get it all off the motherboard in order to put it all back together afterwards.

2. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

Does your board has the latest Bios? maybe that could solve your issue.
    What is the temperature of the rest of the cores of the CPU?

Have you gone into the Bios? sometimes (depending on manufacture) they state the threshold temperature at which the CPU will start throttling.

3. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I don't think I've ever updated my bios as it seemed very complicated. I'll have to check which version I have. I don't know how updating works though.

[edit]: Nvm, found a documentation. Let's see if I can do this right.

The other cores are usually 5 to 12°C lower, especially core #3 and #4.

4. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

I don't know about Gigabyte, but Asus provides a windows base software to update the BIOS through the OS.
    Did Gigabyte had a more up to date BIOS? and what is the BIOS date/revision of your board.

5. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I have an Asus motherboard, Asus P5Q. After a while I found the tool and updated my bios to Version 2209
    which should be the most up-to-date version. It's from 2010 but the board is rather old anyway. The previous
    version was from 2008.

I have noticed a slight positive change in temperature, I'll have a closer look in the next days. I still have to
    remove the dust inside the case.

6. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

ah Asus, I thought you had a Gigabyte board.
    If cleaning the dust doesn't help, you might want to clean the old thermal grease and re-apply a new layer.

7. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I have thought of that, too. That would mean removing the heatsink. I am not confident the pins holding it on the motherboard will survive that.

Gonna have to see. PC just survived a quick round in GTA IV, but I lowered the performance level to auto-select.

8. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

You can tell Sticky is tired, now he is thinking he is on the "sea" :p
    What heatsink model are you using?

9. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

10. Aztlan

Aztlan Ocelotl Yolotl

beginning of the second line :p

No wonder you are hesitant to remove it, looks like is a hassle to do that.

11. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Oh, haha, thanks. Yeah, it's late over here.

Yeah it's not the most user friendly setup, but we'll see.

12. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

I used my day off to get rid of some dust inside the case.

There was a lot of it between the CPU fan that's blowing hot air from the heat sink on the CPU
    out of the case and the heat sink itself. I couldn't get all of it out without taking it apart so I'm
    definitely gonna get me a can with compressed air before the weekend and get rid of the rest.

I've also connected another case fan I built into the side of the case. It makes a slightly annoying
    sound so I didn't use it yet. It's quite far away from where the CPU is but I guess it still helps.

With all that I managed to get the temperature (when I'm not gaming, but browsing, chatting and
    listening to music etc.) down by 12°C which is nice. Hope it will be a similar difference when I'm
    gaming - I still have to try that.

Once I'm done with exams, I'm gonna get me another case and motherboard and switch a few things
    around.

13. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

12°C sounds nice, but I still think you could get better results if you changed thermal paste. Or, you could get even better results if you switched to a better aftermarket cooler. They aren't expensive nowadays and can do wonders ^_^

Still, good thing you sorted out that dust problem, I know it can be a real pain. I have had my share of sweeping dust already. I've changed thermal paste on my desktop 3 times already and 2 times on my laptop. That is why they are still running like new. Dust can be a real bitch and completely destroy the system.

14. StickyFinga

StickyFinga #HORUS

Believe me, taking my cooler with the heat sink off is a real hassle and could potentially damage the
    plastic pins holding it in place on the motherboard. Of course I do have to change/renew the paste
    once in a while but I did that when I got this cooler so I don't think it's necessary at the moment.

The risks outweigh the advantages at the moment. I'll get my exams done and take care of this
    afterwards. I just tried it with a demanding game and my CPU temperature doesn't exceed 75°C
    now - I'm fine with that. If it really went to 99°C before, then I've gained probably even more than
    24°C under load and that's good enough for me right now.

Thanks a lot for your input, azo :cool:.

I'm quite relieved to know that I am now ready for Max Payne :D.