Connecting USB2 hdd through modem

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Computing' started by FlashG, Apr 1, 2012.

1. FlashG

FlashG Tastes like raisins

I updated my dsl connection and my isp gave me new modem which has USB2 port. It should support USB storage devices. My external hdd don't work with it though, it starts when I plug it to the modem but shuts down immediately. I've checked every setting from the modem but I believe the problem is with the hdd. Modem cannot find the hdd but if I plugin my Nokia modem finds it.

Hdd is over three years old Buffalo Drivestation USB2, 1tb. Modem is Fritz!Box 7230, just updated its firmware.

Any ideas what I could try? Why the hdd shuts down, it has its own power supply so it should get enough power also. It works with television, PS3 or computer well.

2. azo

azo ɐllᴉzpoƃ

Maybe it has something to do with NTFS and FAT32 file systems? I believe your Nokia is FAT32, while your HDD is NTFS.

If you have a spare USB flash laying somewhere around, try formatting it to NTFS and then plugging into your modem to see if it works well with NTFS.

Just an idea, though.

3. FlashG

FlashG Tastes like raisins

I actually have two partitions, one is fat32 and other one is ntfs. I don't think it is the problem, I'd need to figure how the hdd wouldn't cut the powers off :)